Continuing from the previous post...
Stage 2. Here I defined the shapes of the fish a little more, and altered the background colours, still being unsure how I wanted them to interact with the main subject i.e. whether to be dominant or recessive areas.
Stage 3. Applied more colour to the fish and plate now, and experimented with adding some text to the teacloth. I decided that I wanted to use a warm vibrant colour for the background area beneath the plate, making the colours “sing”.
Stage 4. Took a long hard look at the composition at this stage, and decided that I really needed to add another fish to make a more balanced image. I then worked on the teacloth adding soft shadows and decided against the use of text.
Final stage. At this point all the colours and layout had been decided upon, so it was just a case of strengthening the shadows and adding more highlights generally. To avoid overworking (which is my usual problem) I then decided to add my initials and call it a day! Phew!
My idea for this painting was to view the plate of fish from directly above, therefore eliminating the usual perspective issues. I also prefer to arrange the subject so that it flows off the edge of the canvas, making a far more interesting angle in my eyes.
Stage 1. Mapping out the shapes for my design very loosely, indicating roughly which colours I feel work together but not setting anything in stone at this stage. At this point I have only two fish and the background colours are very much “try outs”.
Last summers solar dying project ready to be explored. Not sure what Otto will think about his beautiful white fleece turning violet!
Ready to come out!
One careful original owner - Otto
Eleven diverse artists coming together for Norfolk and Norwich Open Studios