Continuing from the previous post...
Stage 2. Here I defined the shapes of the fish a little more, and altered the background colours, still being unsure how I wanted them to interact with the main subject i.e. whether to be dominant or recessive areas.
Stage 3. Applied more colour to the fish and plate now, and experimented with adding some text to the teacloth. I decided that I wanted to use a warm vibrant colour for the background area beneath the plate, making the colours “sing”.
Stage 4. Took a long hard look at the composition at this stage, and decided that I really needed to add another fish to make a more balanced image. I then worked on the teacloth adding soft shadows and decided against the use of text.
Final stage. At this point all the colours and layout had been decided upon, so it was just a case of strengthening the shadows and adding more highlights generally. To avoid overworking (which is my usual problem) I then decided to add my initials and call it a day! Phew!
Eleven diverse artists coming together for Norfolk and Norwich Open Studios